If a hurricane blows through your hometown, you could be facing extensive damages to your property. It can be hard to know where to begin the cleanup and recovery process after experiencing such a trauma. We’ve created a brief guide to help you get back on your feet after experiencing a hurricane.
- Keep a weather radio (or another form of news) handy to listen for changing conditions. If you’ve evacuated, do not return home until officials say it’s safe to do so.
- In the meantime, contact your loved ones to update them on your safety and experiences. They may be able to provide you with information, supplies or even a place to stay if necessary.
- Don’t drive if you don’t have to. And if you do drive, avoid flooded areas.
- Alert the utility company immediately if you spot any downed power lines or broken gas lines, and avoid these areas until repairs are made.
- Once you’ve re-entered your home, take safety precautions. Turn off the power and don safety gear like rubber gloves and safety goggles.
- Take pictures of the damages for insurance purposes. Once you begin the claims process, your insurer will want details about what was damaged or destroyed.
- If your home appears to have sustained significant structural damage, stay away from it and call a professional restoration company to assess the situation further.
- Be proactive about restoration specialists. Do your research and ask your loved ones for recommendations. It’s important to begin the job quickly to prevent the onset of mold and mildew buildup as much as possible.
Need help filing a claim after a hurricane or windstorm wreaks havoc on your home? We’ve got you covered!
Get the support you need. Call Turrentine Insurance Agency at (281) 476-0557 for more information on Houston windstorm insurance.