Enjoying a boat is only as much fun as the people you bring on board with you. If you are planning to host an event or just a few friends together for a day on the boat, it is essential to take steps to ensure everyone is safe and that your assets are well protected. What factors do you need to consider before you invite a friend for an afternoon on the water?
Cover Yourself with Boat Insurance
The first step to getting your boat in the water is to ensure you have the right type and amount of boat insurance. And, if you plan to have guests, you need enough protection to cover them as well. Liability insurance is important for minimizing risks related to your onboard guests, such as if they fall and are injured. Additionally, consider liability insurance’s value if a guest were to take the wheel and cause your boat to strike another. You’ll also appreciate having collision and property insurance in this case. Boat insurance should not be overlooked in terms of value or benefit to you.
What Else to Do
There are always safety steps to take to consider when using a boat, particularly when you have guests aboard. These tips can help you to minimize claims related to your visitors.
- Ensure those you bring on board are capable of swimming. It is a big risk to fall overboard even in a small lake. Ensuring they can swim minimizes your risks.
- Keep enough lifejackets on the boat for everyone that will be on the boat. Make sure these are in good working order.
- Be sure you have a working radio on the boat just in case you need to call for help.
- Take a look around your boat. Are there areas where someone could fall and become hurt? Is the boat in overall good condition?
- Make a rule about alcohol on board. Be sure that those who do drink are doing so responsibly to protect yourself.
Boat insurance can help with many of these risks. However, keeping your boat safe and your guests enjoying themselves can be a challenge. Put in a bit of extra time and energy into ensuring your boat is capable of providing the best experience possible.
We’ve got your safety in mind. Call Turrentine Insurance Agency at (281) 476-0557 for more information on Deer Park boat insurance.